Tuesday 23 October 2012

Mud.

Yep, there's a lot of it about this year.
Enjoying the empty veggie bed!
We are very lucky to have quite a big garden, and the boys are very lucky to have parents who are not avid gardeners (...yet- I hope I may one day inherit my mum's green fingers!) So although I have occasionally gone into melt down when they've trampled over some spring flowers on their way to a hideout in the shrubs, they are mostly allowed to muck about at will, since there is little chance of damaging any prize winning dahlias or the like.

My other half built the boys a large sandpit, which saw lots of action when they were younger, but now apparently mud is much more appealing. Infact we've just decommissioned the sandpit, which was always in danger of turning into a giant cat litter tray, and officially given over a patch of soil under the lilac tree to be the boys digging space.

Scoop looking mildly traumatised!


I guess I thought that kids and mud meant mud pies, but they're a whole lot more inventive than that, in fact I can't actually  remember them ever making mud pies, but Danny did have lots of fun making some kind of mud soup once:




Road building.

Loading the dump truck.


Zac's favourite use of mud is for all kinds of construction. He has created numerous building sites and having watched a Bob the Builder "roads and bridges" dvd, still regularly constructs roads, following each step carefully.

Building a skate park.










Danny is a little more random in his enjoyment of the mucky stuff!

Re-decorating the house with mudballs!
Making  a "Mud-pool" for the ducks.















Both boys spend quite a lot of time digging holes. Zac went through a phase where he was obsessed with volcanoes, and spent a lot of time digging down to "find the mantle." Unsurprisingly he didn't manage to hit lava, but we did use the enormous mound of earth he created whilst digging to make a model volcano and erupted it using vinegar coloured with  red food colouring and sprinkled with baking powder. It never really erupts with much force but seeing the "lava" oozing down the sides of his mud heap seemed to be entertainment enough!                        

Danny is more of a treasure hunter. He's easily distracted, it's possible to drop "treasure" into a hole he's working on without him noticing, so that he's truly astonished when he finds a 2p coin, or occasionally some chocolate money at the bottom!
Brilliant- it's all boggy.

Of course, mud play doesn't have to take place in the garden. After all the rain we've had this winter the boys love nothing more than to put on their wellies and go for a thoroughly muddy walk, squelching through it and trying not(!?) to get their wellies stuck in the mud.

So, it turns out mud is a great way into some really imaginative play, plus you can experiment with how the world works, make an almost-real building site and develop your language skills whilst describing just how sticky, oozy,  squelchy it is.

Danny having a lie down in Zac's hole?!
As I've commented before, my boys are rarely clean. In the summer they don't wear much so it doesn't really matter- a dive into the paddling pool or a squirt with the hose sorts them out. The rest of the time they're dressed in clothes that are in no way precious, and I guess our washing machine just has to lump it!

I love this post about why it's great to let children play in mud, check it out!
http://www.letthechildrenplay.net/2011/08/10-reasons-why-we-should-let-children.html
Here's another about International Mud Day, with more unusual ways to investigate the mucky stuff:
http://creativestarlearning.blogspot.com.au/2013/06/10-ideas-for-mud-play.html



16 comments:

  1. I love this! We have a digging pit in our garden since we resigned ourselves to two things: 1, the grass was not going to grow no matter what we did and 2, the kids love mud! We even have a mud pie kitchen now too :)
    Thanks so much for linking up!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like they had a fantastic time! Super messy play! I'm sure my boys would love this :) #MessyPlay

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I've seen some great pics of mud kitchens, was feeling sad that my two might be past the age to enjoy one but actually- I think they'd still love it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there was me feeling quite the odd one out for not minding - and actively encouraging - my little girl's penchant for mud and anything else she can make a huge mess with! You've made my week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Sophie. I'm absolutely certain that the benefits of messy play far outweigh the hassle of cleaning up afterwards.

      Delete
  5. Oooooo - lovely! This summer's project...find a patch for mud in the garden! Great post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! Keep an eye on it tho- mud patches have a magical ability to grow when you're not looking!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah mud such easy fun. Thankfully I don't mind the mess it makes. We are slowly getting more interested in digging it up I notice now with my wee man. Won't be long I'm sure when he starts getting more inventive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting muddy means you're literally in touch with nature- got to be a good thing! I always feel a bit sad when I hear parents constantly reminding their kids not to get dirty.

      Delete
  8. A woman after my own heart! Messy play is the best play for children, it provides an opportunity for their creative and imaginative minds to be exercised. Thanks for coming over and sharing your mud adventures with Country Kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, when you hear a 3 year old saying,"oooh it's all oozy and squelchy!" there's absolutely no doubt that their language skills are benefiting from this kind of messy play!

      Delete
  9. I LOVE this. I always feel really satisfied on the weekend when I look at my two little uns and they really look a mess, sign of a good days playing I say.

    On the other hand it is slightly less gratifying at 8.30am on a school day when I obviously failed to mention that "Now is not a good time to make mud pies with the petals from the rose bush".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. We live right over the road from the school gate, but can I get my two there clean?? Mud pies with rose petals sounds very appealing!

      Delete
  10. i love the fact you allow the boys to get as dirty as they like, i so wish i was less anal!

    Thanks for linking up with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaime. There are times when I wish I had a neat and pretty little girl, but I was never neat or pretty so it was unlikely to happen!!

      Delete
  11. I love hearing about kids playing out, getting mucky, using their imagination and having loads of natural fun. Thanks for linking #LetKidsBeKids

    ReplyDelete